More about the Oregon Council Of The Blind
Who Are We?
The Oregon Council of the Blind is a nonprofit consumer organization dedicated to advancing the economic and social interests of the blind in Oregon.
We are also an affiliate of the American Council of the Blind, the fastest-growing and most democratic consumer organization of blind people in the United States.
We have grown from a small organization with meager resources in 1954 to a greatly enlarged membership, which enables us to sponsor programs such as the following:
- Scholarships, (The Oregon Scholarships), through the American Council of the Blind.
- Grants & Aid Programs have enabled scores of blind and visually impaired students to purchase adaptive equipment to help them to continue their education.
- Purchase equipment to help blind and visually impaired people compete in their fields of employment.
- Help with the special needs of our blind and visually impaired senior citizens and make their lives a little easier.
- Legislation remains a major interest of the Oregon Council of the Blind. We have worked in various areas such as:
Guide Dogs Laws,
White Cane Laws,
improvements in "Aid to the Blind" laws,
Little Randolph Sheppard Act,
expand employment opportunities for blind venders
composition of the Oregon Commission for the Blind, to better represent the needs and vieews of the blind consumer.
- Education of blind and visually impaired children is a continuing goal of our Organization.
- The "Stylus" is a quarterly newsletter published by the Oregon Council of the Blind to keep its members informed concerning the activities of the Organization and items of interest to the blind community. This newsletter comes in either large print or on cassette tape.
We are very proud of our organization, whose members come from all walks of life, from the age of ten to the senior citizens of eighty plus years.
The Oregon Council of the Blind welcomes new members, both Blind and Sighted.
If you want to find out more about the OREGON COUNCIL OF THE BLIND follow the links to our web pages.
back to home page
Last updated on November 30, 2000
If you have any suggestions, ideas, corrections or additions for this Web page please feel free to Email the Web Master at
Email the Web Master
Copyright © 2000 by The Oregon Council Of The Blind